TEAC MC-DX50i 2.1 Ch. Hi-Fi System & iPod Dock

TEAC MC-DX50i 2.1 Ch. Hi-Fi System & iPod Dock
  • System remote control also controls basic iPod functions.
  • NXT flat-panel speakers. Bass and treble controls. Slot-in CD player plays CD/CD-R/CD-RW discs.
  • Clock and timer functions. Digital tuner with 20 station presets (10AM and 10FM)
  • Docking Station for iPod.
  • Powered subwoofer

I bought this for my wife for Christmas because she wanted a radio in the house and we haven't had one for years. I decided on this model because I was also getting her an iPhone. I thought it would be a great way for her to have the radio and all of her music available in the same source, as well as a convenient way to ensure her iPhone stayed charged.

I was disappointed when we put the iPhone in the docking station and the screen indicated that this device was not compatible with the iPhone (apparently the iPhone has something different on its docking port than the other four iPods that I own and I get this message on all but one of my third-party chargers). However, I was relieved to see that after that message all the functions on the iPhone proceeded without any problem. The iPhone played through the system just as the other iPods and all were controllable from the controls on the TEAC remote or head unit. So, all worked fine except the TEAC does not charge the iPhone and that is the only difference from the iPods.

The TEAC works wonderfully and sounds great. I was impressed right away as I unpacked the item. If you have ever bought a product from Apple Computer, you are aware of the exemplary job they do in their packing. It puts other products to shame, but here it seems that TEAC must be using the same folks to design their packaging. The TEAC unit was packed neatly and efficiently. The inside lid had a large, clear diagram of how all the parts were packed. The parts were packed in a way that made doing inventory and set up as easy as could be.

The manual could have been a little easier to read. i found it a bit redundant, but i'm sure that some would appreciate that if they were only going to read specific sections and perhaps out of sequence. The sleek and well designed remote control fit comfortably in the hand and was impressively solid, made almost entirely of metal except for the touch sensitive surface.

I also had a little trouble picking up a couple of my favorite stations that I listen to in the car when I used the auto-scanning feature, but was able to pick them up tuning manually. At first I thought that the TEAC antenna was just weak since I didn't connect it to an FM antenna (a coax input is provided), but then I realized that the auto-scan actually picked up about 10 local stations that my car always missed no matter which part of town I was in. So, I guess the TEAC has very good sensitivity after all.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. This was my first TEAC product. My dad had a TEAC reel-to-reel back in the 70's, but that was my only exposure to the brand. I will definitely consider this brand in future electronics purchases.

Buy TEAC MC-DX50i 2.1 Ch. Hi-Fi System & iPod Dock Now

Have only had this for a few days, here's what I think so far:

Pros:

1. Only one power cord for the entire unit, from wall to the powered sub-woofer. The main unit is powered by the thick cord from the sub-woofer.

2. Cord from sub-woofer to main unit is substantial and about 6 feet long

3. Easy to setup, did not need the manual

4. Sub-woofer helps the sound

5. Modern looking with thin smaller speakers

6. Can get pretty loud, for a somewhat inexpensive room unit

Cons:

1. speaker cords could be a bit longer

2. Plays purchased CDs and CD-R's but not in MP3 format

3. CD loader is on top hope it is not affected by dust getting in

4. Think it's a little overpriced

5. My daughter thinks the clock light is too bright at nighttime in her room, but have been told that the light can in fact be dimmed (see comment, Thanks!) I've been told it can be dimmed, need to check that out.

6. Another person noted it does not have battery backup. Not sure why Teac did not include that.

Read Best Reviews of TEAC MC-DX50i 2.1 Ch. Hi-Fi System & iPod Dock Here

I purchased this primarily as a way to get local radio as well as have something to play my ipod on at work. This has nice, robust sound for an office setting, and I was really surprised at the quality for the price. The sub-woofer really does make a difference, even if I felt a little ridiculous busting it out for the office. This isn't a home theater system, so you need to adjust your expectations accordingly. But for the price you will be very pleased.

Not only is this AM/FM/CD/iPOD ready, but you can also use it as your computer speakers through the AUX IN port on the front of the unit. Since you can move the separate components around to your liking, that worked out very well for me on my desk, and I was able to lose my old speakers. What a deal!

Since I don't have this at home, I can't really test it, but there is an S-video hookup as well, so that you can hook it up to your TV. I would consider this for our den, which has a small flat screen so my husband can work and watch sports.

The only thing they could do any better would be to to include a FM antenna (AM is included, but not FM). A very small complaint, as I would likely buy a more robust one anyway (I already had a TERK antennae that I brought with me).

All in all, a great little setup!

Want TEAC MC-DX50i 2.1 Ch. Hi-Fi System & iPod Dock Discount?

I purchased the TEAC MC-DX50i at my local Costco. I have an iPod Touch and have been looking for a sound system that I could plug the iPod into. I also wanted something that could play CDs, had a radio tuner and would be "low profile" on my bookcase. The sound quality suits me. My only concern is I'm not getting a clear signal on one or two of my favorite FM stations (one is Sports Talk) but I can live with this!

Save 46% Off

The system sound good, however the picture doesn't show the "booster" speaker that is bigger than the actual system. The booster is so huge and heavy you can't fit or hide it in a "shelf."

0 comments:

Post a Comment