Geneva Sound MODEL XS / BLACK Compact Stereo Sound System

Geneva Sound MODEL XS / BLACK Compact Stereo Sound System
  • Bluetooth A2DP for wireless music streaming from any Bluetooth-enabled device, such as iPad, iPhone, and other smartphones and tablets.
  • Digital FM Radio
  • Alarm clock
  • Rechargeable battery - over 5 hours playtime on single charge
  • Water-resistant leather case

I own several Tivoli Songbooks, and have owned my Geneva XS since late July (2012). So it's been a month now, and I still haven't decided which I like best.

I've taken the XS, rather than the Tivoli, on two week-long trips. This is because the XS is about half the size of the Tivoli, and can retreat into its shell. Unlike other reviewers, I've had no hinge problems.

The XS on Geneva's website is rated at 12 watts, yet its top volume sounds comparable to the Tivoli. The Tivoli plays voice better, the Geneva, music better. Bass is good on the Tivoli, yet even cleaner on the XS. I wish the XS had a voice/music switch (aka bass boost switch), because for talk shows I'd switch it off.

The XS turns on easily; the button to do so is both electronic and recessed. However, its other controls are easy to confuse.

Sensitivity and selectivity of the XS and Tivoli are comparable. Note that, while it is not obvious, the XS does have an FM antenna.

The XS's display peeking through its grille is stylish.

So, which to buy? Relative to each other, The Tivoli is better stationary, and the XS is better traveling. I've even been able to squeeze the XS in my pants pocket. Still can't decide? Then I recommend flipping a coin, because both the Tivoli and the XS can fill a standard sized room (like a hotel room) with high quality sound.

9/7/12: The only setup needed for the XS was to turn it on; the battery was already installed. I mention this because "The most helpful critical review" mentions problems installing the XSs battery.

Buy Geneva Sound MODEL XS / BLACK Compact Stereo Sound System Now

I got my Geneva XS two months ago. I travel 3-5 days a week for work, and this unit has gone everywhere with me. And it works great. I can pair it with my iPhone or iPad to listen to music via bluetooth. I use the radio station to listen to weather, traffic and the games (Go Pats!). It's got a line-in cable, for my wife's old school iPod with no bluetooth. It's wicked simple to use. I've noticed some people said they had a problem with the. Not me. It's tough enough to toss in my bag and go. Battery life lasts a while. So, I definitely recommend it.

Read Best Reviews of Geneva Sound MODEL XS / BLACK Compact Stereo Sound System Here

Menu system is a bit unintuituve at first, but not terrible.

There is a full sound, but expect no base out of it -exceeding 56 or so on the volume menu causes distortion

sustained a drop of about 2ft when a friend accidentally brushed by it and knocked it off the end table -the minimal force and short fall was enough to snap off the flimsy plastic hinges which hold it to the case. It still works, but simply has difficulty standing correctly now, and is no longer able to hinge in the clamshell. Would have expected significantly more durability for the price, such as hinges which can snap on and off should for instance the device take a tiny fall.

Used with a projector for a portable entertainment system, it gets the job done and fairly well -not so excellent for music however.

Want Geneva Sound MODEL XS / BLACK Compact Stereo Sound System Discount?

Just bought this speaker for $250 so I could use it in an antique car with no stereo. I tested the sound in the store and was satisfied. I wished it came with a DC to USB power/charger cable but was fairly confident I could find one. (Seems stupid that they wouldn't have considered that people would like the option to charge off of a computer or other USB source like a cigarette lighter)

So I found a USB adapter to charge off the cigarette lighter USB plug. 1.5 hours into a 3 hour drive, I hit a very small bump and the speaker shut off. I realized one of the two tabs that hold the speaker open had broken off just from falling shut. Without these tabs, the speaker does not work. It will only function in the open "triangle"position. The case needs to be touching the edge of the speaker so the hidden magnet is connected. WHY would the designers back up such an important step with 1mm plastic tabs? While inspecting this, I also noticed the ultra thin .5mm hinge holding the bottom together was already splitting 1/4 or the distance across the hinge.

Needless to say I am very unhappy and am going to try returning this beautiful, but extremely flawed speaker. It's a shame such a good idea was executed so poorly.

Save $0.95 Off

I had similar problems as others did here with the incredibly fragile cheap plastic hinges, one of which broke pretty much upon opening. An unnecessarily complicated battery installation with an overly long cord (who was the design engineer on this product??) makes for a strange battery set up that I had to tweak as the battery compartment plastic was bent and wouldn't receive the plug at first. And then, to top that all off, it just didn't work as promised. Stay away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment