The Sharper Image EC-B100 Sound Soother Alarm Clock

The Sharper Image EC-B100 Sound Soother Alarm Clock
  • Enjoy 20 digital soothing sounds for relaxation
  • Extra large display with full sound titles
  • Dual alarm, auto-off timer and convenient automatic time reset after power failure
  • Choice of two alarm wake modes: Soothing Sounds or Beep Tone
  • Elegant design is beautiful in any room decor
  • Features: Dual alarm, auto-off timer and convenient automatic time reset after power failure and daylight savings time

The Sharper Image Sound Soother has a very sleek and modern design, however, there are a few flaws that detract from the overall experience.

First, the digital display is very bright in a dark bedroom. Unlike a regular, cheap alarm clock where only the time is lit, the entire display of the Sound Soother is backlit. If your bedroom has little ambient light at night, this display will emit a glow that some people may find too bright. Although there are three display brightness settings, there is little difference between them and the lowest setting is still bright. We have to turn the clock away from the bed at night so it's not directly in our face, but the glow is still significant.

Second, the sound quality could be better. This could be a tradeoff for the sleek design, but the sounds are not very natural coming out of the small rear speakers and are a bit tinny as another reviewer has noted. The volume control is not very good either, as the difference between the first, second, third, etc. volume selections are very noticeable. In other words, 1 is too soft for some sounds, but 2 is way too loud. The audio loop on some of the sounds is too short as well, and if you are concentrating on the sound you may be able to detect the pattern, which can be distracting as you are trying to fall asleep. Also, the control buttons themselves make a very loud and abrasive "click" sound when you push them, which seems odd for a machine designed to relax you.

Overall, the Sound Soother is a decent alarm clock that gets the job done, but it could definitely be improved (display too bright, audio quality is lacking, and buttons take away from the overall experience). Although it is made by Sharper Image, it has a somewhat "cheap" feeling to it. Despite the flaws, it is one of the better sound machine/alarm clock I came across that was less than $50.

Buy The Sharper Image EC-B100 Sound Soother Alarm Clock Now

Found this sound soother at QVC for $36.50. I hated waking up to a loud "give-me-a-heart-attack" buzzers on regular alarm clocks and was hunting for a more soothing wake-up call. The beep on this clock is ok not near as screeching as some other clocks I've tried. The sound system and its many nature sound options are great. I don't know why other buyers complain about the quality of the sounds, they must miss their big ole stereo system or something, its just a clock people duh! I love the rainforest sound and the summer night as well as the oceanside waves. I chose most often to set the alarm to the foghorn, its a nice soft realistic sound of boats in the harbor. If you're a deep sleeper, the beep probably would be better to use. I found the manual for this too sparse on instructions. There was no instructions on how to set either the beep or the sound option, by accident I found out how. The luminous figures are not too bright, good grief I can't believe other buyers complained about that too. It's like having a very, very, low night light on not too bright at all. I am pleased with having bought this item, I like the fact it has battery back up. Only down side for me was that it was made in China, would have preferred finding an alternative made in USA.

Read Best Reviews of The Sharper Image EC-B100 Sound Soother Alarm Clock Here

I had high hopes for this thinking it was similar to a clock I saw a few years ago and can't seem to find now. Those of you who are light sleepers will appreciate the sound library. The digital recordings have long loops and sound pretty good, but the speakers are on the tinny side. I like to sleep with a surf sound and that is decent. The problem is the alarm (which wasn't even covered in my manual). The alarm allows you to wake with either a beeper or a sound. The problem is if you sleep with a sound playing, that is the same one used for the alarm so it doesn't quite work! I was hoping you could set different sounds for the alarms. The clock I saw a few years ago allowed you to listen to surf but the alarm added in foghorns or other related sounds. That was pretty cool! If anyone knows what clock I am talking about, please let me know. Don't be too disappointed if the Sound Soother isn't available on Amazon. It is available at Best Buy for the same price.

Want The Sharper Image EC-B100 Sound Soother Alarm Clock Discount?

I've been a Sharper Image fan for some time, due in large part, to their Sound Soother products. After having bought two (2) of these EC-B100 products, my total Sound Soothers number six. I've had expensive woodgrain, modern, portables, and now these and I've put them through many miles of travel and years of daily use.

So why on earth is their so much bashing about this product? It's unclear to me. Specifically:

1. I found these units to be plenty variable with respect to their contrast and light emission. In no way are they distracting from my sleep and I am an extremely light sleeper. In fact, I have two EX-B100s on both sides of my and my wife's king side bed. True, they are dimmed all the way, but we both sleep just fine. There is plenty of room for increasing the brightness; however, it's just not necessary.

2. To those other buyers who complained that the soothing is so loud that it keeps them awake, all I can report is the following: Either there is tremendous user/operational errors or Sharper Image responded by provided more than 8 variable sound levels ranging from super quiet to yes very loud.

3. Not that this unit is without fault....mind you, I'm picky only after having had many other Sound Soother units. To begin with, I really miss having an auxiliary sound input (for either CD, iPod, etc.). I also miss having an AM/FM radio in the unit....something that most clock radios include. Finally, the stereo separation isn't as good as it gets with older units....however...to the users who complained that the sample loops were highly discernable in a distracting way, please be advised: I am an audio engineer by trade and get paid to create loops all day long. I simply can't distinguish the, on this unit...and I know that you will like the quality.

Lest you think that I'm an employee for the Sharper Image....rest assured, I am not.

Just simply a satisfied customer who every now and then enjoys standing up for a great company and successful product line.

I read reviews of this clock for a while before purchasing it. Two things worried me complaints that the sound has only 2 settings (very loud or very soft) and that the backlight was too bright.

The version of the clock I got has 5 volume settings and it's a good range. The lowest is very quiet, but a setting of 2 or 3 is quite nice. The sound quality isn't awesome, but it's not bad.

The backlight, however, is too bright, even on the lowest setting. It was like having a pretty bright nightlight on the table. Since the clock had everything else I was looking for, I hoped to fix this. I took the clock apart (removing 5 screws on the back. The display is a circuit board with 3 LEDs on either side. They angle toward the window for the display. I removed the circuit board and bent the LEDs out so they face the inside edge of the clock. I then reassembled it (it's critical to screw the circuit board back in VERY TIGHTLY since this pressure contact runs the display) and the light is *perfect*. I can see it at night, but there is no glowing light, and I can read it fine during the day.

I know it's an annoying fix, but for me it was worth it to have the dual alarms and nice set of sounds to wake up to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment