Sony ICF-CD853V AM/FM/TV/Weather Clock Radio/CD Player

Sony ICF-CD853V AM/FM/TV/Weather Clock Radio/CD Player
  • 25 Programmable station memories for easy access
  • CD, CDR and CDRW Playback compatible
  • Headphone Jack for adding an optional stereo headphone
  • Nap Timer
  • Triple Alarm -3 Times/3 Modes (CD/Radio/Buzzer)

I've owned the "Liv" version of this alarm clock, same model just different color, for about 6 months now. I initially liked the digital tuner, CD-RW play ability, 3 alarms, and 3 Tuner function. Also I liked the compactness of it and it's small "footprint".

I'm afraid I must rate it unacceptable however, I'll explain why. First I have a problem with seeing the time on the LCD, being backlit makes it hard to read the numberseven being placed directly across from my bed, it's also difficult to see at certain angles too (it completely disappears) I believe if just the numbers themselves (not the whole screen) were lit then this would be a solution. Secondly, I think the "buzzer" is way too polite or cute and could easily see someone sleeping thru it. It's not volume adjustable either. Lastly, and probably most important, this thing has only a 1 min internal back-up if the power fails. That is a critical design flaw in my opinion. In other words, if the power happens to go out for anytime longer than just 1 minute while you're sleeping count on oversleeping, being late, and seeing a flashing "12:00" to greet you when you wake. Like I said, this is simply unacceptable. I really don't understand why sony didn't just incorporate a 9V back-up like other alarm clocks use. In closing, I wish I never bought it, but oh well, I've learned my lesson. Please steer clear of sony alarm clocks until they improve these sort of design flaws.

Buy Sony ICF-CD853V AM/FM/TV/Weather Clock Radio/CD Player Now

I read all the reviews and figured this had the least things I hated (I was pretty discouraged at what was out there, especially since my #1 requirement is a digital tuner, this being the only one Sony makes; I can't stand playing with a dial trying to lock in). I didn't mind so much that I would probably have to prop up the back or leave it on the floor to see the time (you really have to look straight (or down) at it, so with your head on pillow, you have to get up) or that there was no battery back up, but decided its going back when I overslept cause I didn't hear the alarm for 45min. It's soft and puts u in a trance. I tried the radio the next day and I swear it never went off(I used a backup).

I think I'll take my chances with a RCA or Timex and be happy with just a radio when the CDplayer breaks. I guess I've been spoiled by my old one, where I could flick a switch and the alarm would come back on same time, and the volume would get louder in case you had it down the night before.

Read Best Reviews of Sony ICF-CD853V AM/FM/TV/Weather Clock Radio/CD Player Here

The features advertised for this CD clock radio made it seem like a solution to my disappointment with similar models in the genre. It has a digital tuner, large display, plays CD/R/RW, and the Sony Mega Bass system. Well... it has a digital tuner indeed with very poor sensitivity on FM (even with endless tries with the little antenna), no reception on weather and that you have to repeatedly press the "band" button to find your presets. The display is nice if you can read it; you must be directly in front of and slightly above, or it disappears. The CD functions are very good, but the sound is rather muddy, made worse by the Mega Bass and postioning of the speakers. The styling is odd, and while it may have a small footprint, it takes up a lot of room as it swells up to the concave CD lid. The labels on the buttons are unreadable thanks to a "mirrored" background behind the plastic front. The alarms are pretty useless; the buzzer is very soft, and one can't go to sleep with soft music without the radio/CD going off in the morning at the same soft level. Far too many design defects are incorporated in this model to use it for any purpose!

Want Sony ICF-CD853V AM/FM/TV/Weather Clock Radio/CD Player Discount?

I have attempted to recreate some of the issues other reviewers have found with the Sony ICF-CD853V CD/Radio/... Alarm clock and -except for the lack of a backup battery, which could really be an issue in areas where there are power outagesso far, I can't imagine how you could run into some of them. I am very happy with the clock so far.

We were just fine with our battery alarm clock to wake up and our wall clock to see the time "in big" when we were up, until our baby came. He would need to wake up every three hours, and we needed to time the breastfeeding nursing on each side, etc. When you HAVE to be up at three in the morning, your eyesight needs a little propping, so an LCD clock makes the best sense. Also we wanted a clock that could wake us all up with music of our choice (a CD), since the baby seems to love music. After shooping around for options, though this solution is not the least expensive we found it to be a nice balance between functionality and design. So far, all I have are good things to say about it.

I am very happy with this clock. It has some great features, including the all weather radio station. My hubby works construction and listens to it every morning to find out what the day will be like. You can set the face to dim, dimmer, or dark. It lets you wake up to CD (you can set the track), radio, or beeper. I like the beeper cuz it starts out slow and then gets annoying (which I appreciate because it gets ya up). I love the color, shape, and size. I haven't had a problem with it not remembering things when the power goes out. My only complaints would be the sound isn't the best in the world but it's good, and I wish it came with a remote so when your cozy in bed you can change the CD track or radio (we have it sitting across our room). Anyhoo I am very happy with it and give it four stars. Sony did a great job and will continue to please in the future Im sure. I also plan to snag one of these for my nursary. What a great product. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment