Philips Fidelio DS7550 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock

Philips Fidelio DS7550 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock
  • Supports most iPhone and iPod models with Universal Dock Connector
  • Elegant, slim, and compact design to fit into any briefcase
  • wOOx technology is a revolutionary loudspeaker concept that allows you to hear and feel profoundly deep bass; tweeter ensures smooth transitions from low-mid to high frequencies; dual suspension and a totally symmetrical sandwich construction
  • Dynamic Bass Boost maximizes your music enjoyment by emphasizing the bass content of the music throughout the range of volume settings--from low to high--at the touch of a button

I purchased both the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) and the Logitech S715i Rechargeable Speaker for iPod and iPhoneto choose one as a travel speaker when I want something more substantial than my ALTEC LANSING iM207 Orbit-MP3. Here is a quick comparison.

-Build quality. Both are very solid and seem like they will hold up well. The Logitech seemed slightly more substantial, but I see no problem with tossing either in a suitcase for traveling. One thing to note, the Philips will accommodate an iPhone 4 in a bumper case while you have to take the phone out of the case for the Logitech.

-Size. While the dimensions don't look that much different between the two, the Logitech is substantially bigger and somewhat heavier. I can't picture carrying the Logitech in a daypack, but it would be doable with the Philips.

-Sound quality. At low volume levels, the Logitech had a slightly fuller sound. At high volume levels operating on battery power the Logitech again had a slight edge. At high volume levels while plugged in, there was no comparison. The Logitech rocked louder and with a much deeper bass. It seemed as though when you unplugged the Logitech that the bass boost was shut off.

In the end I chose the Philips. Since both will be plenty loud for a hotel room where most of my listening would be done, I chose the Philips for it's much smaller size and portability. For poolside where they'll be running off battery, the sound difference wasn't substantial enough to choose the larger Logitech. However, if you're going to be using mainly AC and want the best sound, choose the Logitech. While it's larger than the Philips, it's certainly not too large to bring to a party at a friend's house or similar usage and offers a fuller sound. For air travel and packing in your luggage though, the Philips is a much less bulky package.

Buy Philips Fidelio DS7550 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock Now

I was skeptical when I ordered this product: after all, how could something so slim-line and small compare to my full-sized stereo? I was floored. This product not only gives a clear, sharp sound it also holds its own in the bass. My iphone easily pops on and off for easy access, but doesn't slip off (preventing damage to the phone). When there's an incoming call I can answer it and use the speaker feature to leave the phone on the dock or pick it up. When I leave the phone on the dock it resumes my music where I left off before the call. The angle of the phone is easily accessible to change the tunes or utilize the phone. The amount of sound which can actively be produced from the speakers is excellent: Loud and still clear as a bell. The added features include a sleep timer, alarm, and a clock. The apps to run this hot ticket item are completely free! I highly recommend this product for anyone looking for a portable, great sounding iphone-music docking/speaker device.

Read Best Reviews of Philips Fidelio DS7550 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock Here

My family loves music and bass is a very important part of it. We tested the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) against our Bose Wave using Michael Jackson's Thriller. We found that the DS7550 had a touch more bass than the Bose Wave, but we could hear more instruments with the Wave. Even though my hubby doesn't think the DS7550 has the best bass he's heard, he says it's good for the size of the unit. As he walked by while I was writing my review, he asked me if he could use the Philips docking speaker with his 4th generation IPod Nano while he paid the bills. Did it matter to him that I had the speaker hooked up to my ASUS laptop listening to my favorite worship music on youtube? I guess not. Two hours later, he returned the speaker. He said it sounded even bassier (is that a word?) when he listened with his Bose mini earbuds.

Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black) is designed to be portable. It has a built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery that will last up to 8 hours (we've tested it for 5 hours so far). Included in the box are two, very nice, padded carrying cases...one for the speaker & a smaller one for the AC adapter and the 3.5-mm auxiliary cable. There are three buttons on top of the speaker: On/Off; Volume; Bass (with dbb). You can turn the DBB (dynamic bass boost) on or off. On the back is the stand (pull out on the smaller dk. gray, rubbery piece to open stand), an AUX input, and a 9v connection for the AC adapter. The AUX in allows other electronic devices to be hooked up to the speaker. Right now, I'm listening to my hubby's old IRiver MP3 player. I hooked it up to the speaker's AUX in, using the included auxiliary cable. The other end is hooked into the MP3 player. And, I want to tell you that the sound is absolutely incredible!!!! I love it!!!! Earlier, I had the speaker hooked up to my laptop and listened to music on youtube.

My daughter downloaded the free Fidelio app for her IPod Touch & tried most of the available functions. The check battery function didn't seem to work properly. It showed the battery life at 100% power, but the battery had been in use for 3 hours. The next time she tried to check the battery life, the function was missing. We didn't have time to check it out any further. The alarm worked & has 4 sound settings, birds, church bells, ocean waves and rain forest. The sleep timer also worked. I think it's a useful/fun app; hopefully the battery life check will be updated. We forgot to check the sound settings using the Fidelio app. I'll update my review with our findings when we test the sound setting feature/function.

Our entire family likes the Philips Fidelio DS7550 Rechargeable Portable Docking Speaker for iPod/iPhone (Aluminum/Black). I can visualize lessons in sharing in our future.

UPDATE (1/12/12): I recently received an IPod 4G. I protected my IPod with the OtterBox Defender Series Hybrid Case for iPod touch 4G (Black/Red). Because the DS7550's dock is spring loaded, I am able to dock my IPod 4G with the case on it. I pull the the dock on the Phillips DS7550 forward. (It's a bit frustrating to dock it with the Otterbox case on, but it can be done).

Also the Fidelio app doesn't seem to be as functional as it was with my daughter's IPod 2G. I can't seem to find any reference to the battery life or the sound setting feature mentioned in the product review.

UPDATE (3/5/12): I'M USING THIS WITH OUR KINDLE FIRE. When I stream Amazon movies to our Fire, I hook this speaker to the Fire. It's great!

Want Philips Fidelio DS7550 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock Discount?

Overall, a nice sounding unit but if you have an ear for quality sound, this is a bit underwhelming. I'll explain in the Cons section below.

Fidelio PROS:

+ First thing that struck was how 'tiny' this unit is compared to the sound it gives out. You wonder where is this bass coming from (although the bass itself is a bit on the lower side)

+ Sleek looking

+ Tight construction, metal grille cool looking device

+ Nice sound, not great, not audiophile, but not bad.

+ Used it outside and inside the house.

+ Plays same sound plugged in or not. Other units tend to not when running on battery.

+ Portable has a rechargeable battery.

+ The kickstand is nice and made the unit stand upright well

Fidelio CONS:

The sound is ok, just ok. I wish I could hear a little more treble (high side) and a little tighter bass but given the size of the unit, I can see why it struggles to produce more bass

Battery ran out quite quickly when I was playing for some time without being plugged in didn't run the advertised 8 hours for me

No remote control

No Bluetooth

No AirPlay

The unit along with the hot weather ended up heating up the iPhone 4 pretty quickly and shut the iPhone down with a Temperature warning

All in all, returning it because of the underwhelming sound, the time it took the battery to run out, the lack of a remote, the lack of bluetooth.

Logitech s715

PROS

+ Great wholesome (bordering on audiophile for the price) sound with nice treble/highs and tight bass. Same caliber sound as some high end units.

+ Remote control

+ Just ok looking, a little dry in my opinion kinda like a boombox from the 80s, 90s

+ Battery life is great

+ Nice bass woofers not too big but enough to move air and produce good sound

The bass goes down by design when unplugged

No bluetooth

Kickstand has trouble staying up at times.

Save 48% Off

The Itouch is a great MP3 player, but has some awful speakers. This product is perfect for a person on the go. It's lightweight, and the sound it produces is fantastic. I couldn't believe the amount of bass that was being produced. It was very impressive.

The only downside I saw was there was no indication how low the batteries or how long they would last on a charge. It would be nice if they added an LED that would flash when the batteries were low so we would know we need to charge the device.

Other then that small complaint, it's completely worth a buy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment