Braun BNC010WH-RC Digital Alarm Clock Radio White

Braun BNC010WH-RC Digital Alarm Clock Radio White
  • Braun's 2012 digital alarm clock radio
  • features updated technologies without losing the design discipline of Braun's golden era
  • top quality, scratch-resistant LCD screens
  • FM/AM radio with 6 preset function and built-in speaker
  • blue LED backlight

The physical design of this alarm clock is beautiful, as would be expected from Braun. However, I've encountered a couple of major flaws that I can't overlook and am very disappointed in. First off, the snooze function does not work when the radio is being used for the alarm! This being the CLOCK RADIO version of this product, one would only expect to be able to use the snooze function with any alarm setting, but when I hit snooze this morning, the radio just continued to play. To me, this basically makes me feel as though I wasted $100, which is already reaching the upper ends of what I'd be willing to pay for an alarm clock. Secondly, the screen is WAY too dark. I like the idea of having an alarm clock that doesn't cause a glow throughout the room, however, you have to reach over and press the light button any time you want to see the clock, night OR day!

On the positive end of things, the physical design really is excellent. The clock is small, slim and minimal. The snooze and alarm on/off buttons are a very practical and clever design that makes it easy to know when the alarm is or is not set. However these positives do not outweigh the significant oversights that have me contemplating returning the clock for one that actually does what alarm clock radio should do.

If you want a good looking alarm clock that reliably goes off when you need it to, this may be for you. But if you want to use the clock to tell time without activating the light, and want to have the option of hitting the snooze button when waking up to the radio, sadly I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

UPDATE: After receiving this response from Braun, I'll be returning the clock, although I do appreciate them being up front about it (even though it would have been nice to see this clarified prior to making the purchase):

"Thank you for your below enquiry and apologies for this inconvenience.

The clock's snooze function designed to work only with the "beep" function. If this is an important function for you then I would advise you to obtain credit for this clock as this function cannot be altered. Once again we apologies for this inconvenience. If you have any further query do not hesitate to contact us."

Buy Braun BNC010WH-RC Digital Alarm Clock Radio White Now

I needed a white AM/FM radio no more than 7 inches long and 3 inches wide to fit in a bathroom wall cabinet, to be out of the way when not in use,in our newly remodeled bathroom. The Braun was the perfect fit. Sleek, bright white with a digital display, and both battery & DC operated.The problems started when I turned it on. First, it does not come with a DC outlet adapter. I had to scour the house and find one, as this is optional.Next, when it self-programmed, it did not locate most of the AM stations in my area, and I am not in a rural area....ever hear of Brooklyn, NY? The digital display is dim most times, so it would not be good for use as an alarm clock in a dark room; but it does light for 3 seconds when the button is pressed.As I don't use it as an alarm clock this is not a problem. Efforts to control the volume are futile, no matter which way you roll the wheel, it does what it wants, and getting it where I want is a challenge. It allows pre-settings, which works for me. And $100 is too much to generally pay for an AM/FM radio.

I have since learned to live with my Braun. I found FM stations that play the AM stations, I couldn't find.I leave the volume on one setting which is OK most of the time. The FM receptions is decent for the 2 or 3 stations I prefer during my 15 minutes a day getting cleaned up and ready to go. So, I love the design and have come to accept the other flaws...not for everyone, but OK for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment