Franklin Merriam-Webster ((Speaking)) Spanish-English Dictionary (BES-1850)

Franklin Merriam-Webster) Spanish-English Dictionary
  • Clear, concise full definitions from Merriam-Webster, give you the meanings to communicate effectively
  • Hear words spoken clearly and pronounced accurately
  • Write and speak accurately with the advanced verb conjugation feature, conjugating and translating both English and Spanish verbs
  • Grammar guide includes all essential information on Spanish grammar rules, to help you construct sentences
  • Hear 600 travelers' phrases in recorded human voice, useful for business and leisure travelers

After using the BES-1840 and TES-118 for the last few months and being throughly frustrated with their problems and limitations, I am delighted with the BES-1850. It has all the positive features of the BES-1840 like speech and large vocabulary and combines a few of the good features of the TES-118 like a clock and a closing protective cover. It also isn't as bulky and oddly shaped as the BES-1840 but instead it is shaped like a larger version of the TES-118. It also has a larger vocabulary, an address book, resizeable fonts and backlighting that turns on and off conveniently which eliminates the problem with shadows the 1840 has. I have only had the translator for one day but I am very impressed with it. The only downside I saw was that it has a data cable for interfacing with computers or Palm Pilots, but neither of my laptops have a compatible port. But I think my desktop computer does so it doesn't seem to be a showstopper for me. All in all I think this is the translator we have been begging Franklin to put out for the last 5 years.

Buy Franklin Merriam-Webster ((Speaking)) Spanish-English Dictionary (BES-1850) Now

The Franklin BES-1850 is fantastic! I did an EXHAUSTING amount of research before purchasing an electronic dictionary/translator device. I became so overwhelmed at times trying to figure out what to buy that I scrapped the idea all together a few times. However, I eventually purchased the Franklin BES-1850 and could not be more satisfied.

1.) I am attempting to learn Spanish all on my own. This can be quite a task. I wanted something easily portable that could be used to look up words on-the-fly and was lighter and less bulky than the huge, heavy paper dictionary that I was porting around.

2.) I was completely willing to spend upwards of $600 if the device was something fantastical. However, I did exhaustive research and there is nothing out there that serves a function better than this Franklin device. And the Franklin BES-1850 cost less than $100. It's $100 well spent.

3.) I do agree with some of the comments that the latch sticks and can be a bit hard to open. However, it's a strong latch that protects the device when you throw it in your bag. It's not that great of a concern. However, it is true that the latch can be hard to open.

4.) I don't have much trouble at all in seeing the screen. However, I can see how that comment also is valid. I would imagine that if you're trying to use the device on a park bench in the direct sunshine, that you're going to have trouble (and I'm all for having a device that I *can* use on a park bench in the sunshine). However, the thing costs under $100! The screen is perfectly easy to see in most common circumstances. I really love this device!

5.) My main use of the device so far is to find vocabulary words when I'm attempting to work an assignment in one of my workbooks (BTW: The series "Practice Makes Perfect" Spanish is THE BEST in terms of written grammar). In addition, I commute by public transportation and use the device to look up words when I'm attempting to "read" a Spanish periodical on the train. The device is perfect for this!

6.) One drawback is the fact that you cannot type in an entire phrase and have that phrase translated. (Actually, this *might* be possible. However, if it is possible, I haven't figured out how to do it.) Instead, you have to look up your ideas in the form of single words. I was going to complain about this. However, I have to say that I'm actually impressed. I could not remember the reflexive verb "to put oneself to bed". I assumed that if I typed in "bed" the only option that would be returned was the Spanish word "cama". However, to my delight and surprise it returned both "cama" and "acostarse" (the latter is the verb that I wanted). Good going, Franklin!

7.) IT CONJUGATES VERBS IN ALL TENSES!!!! Oh my gosh is that wonderful. Truly, this thing rocks!

I actually bought two of these. I'm using mine to go from English to Spanish. However the second one that I purchased was for a Spanish-speaking friend trying to learn English. I will attempt to report in with another review once I hear how well the device works in the other direction. My impression is that it is well done in both directions. Thus, if you are a Spanish speaker looking for an English translator, I'd go with this device as well.

Well done, Franklin!

Do not spend more than $100 for this or any of these devices. There is nothing that those other devices can do that warrants the price jump. Buy this Frankling BES-1850 model.

Read Best Reviews of Franklin Merriam-Webster ((Speaking)) Spanish-English Dictionary (BES-1850) Here

It's very hard to read without the backlight and it shuts off after a very short time! I don't think it allows you to program the backlight duration. If you want to read anything you always have to be turning it back on! The vocabulary is limited compared to the Sharp PW E550 dictionary. The keyboard is not as comfortable as the Sharp. Its ok if you are not going to use it for a prolonged time. After some time you're fingers will get tired since the keyboard is somewhat compressed.

Want Franklin Merriam-Webster ((Speaking)) Spanish-English Dictionary (BES-1850) Discount?

I love the possibilities an electronic dictionary offers but the mechanics of this one has a lot of problems. The screen does not have enought contrast no matter how you adjust it. If you use the backlight it shuts off, in fact it shuts off on its own all the time. Very frustrating. Whenever it shuts off unexpectedly you also loose all of your preferences (like large type). The voice part is really not worth the extra money. The pronunciations are so digitized it does not help much. It is extremely convenient to have an electronic translator in your pocket, just not this one.

I've used this dictionary for a couple of weeks and it suits my needs just fine. It's certainly not without some faults but overall it does okay. The pronunciation function could be better some of the spanish words sound as if they have been recorded by someone reading "at speed" but I don't believe they have led me astray. Where else can I get fairly good portable pronunciation help (carry around a spanish dwarf)?

Screen could be brighter but then the battery life would become a problem. A bit of a bother but it doesn't aggravite me very much. I like the conjugation function particularly well it helps quite a bit.

All in all I think this device is very good. Don't know when the next version with better pronunciation comes out, but I won't be buying it. This one suits me just fine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment