iDA-X305S - Alpine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Cable for Total iPod and iPhone Integration

iDA-X305S - Alpine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Cable for Total iPod and iPhone Integration
  • In-dash Digital Media Receiver with AM/FM, MP3, WMA, and AAC playback
  • iPod and iPhone USB direct connectivity via your standard iPod-to-USB connection cable allows you to charge, control, and playback your iPod through the receiver and stereo system
  • Pandora interface streams online music from Pandora (via iPhone) and allows for all Pandora controls to be accessed from the stereo
  • Includes iPod-to-USB connection cable
  • Double action rotary encoder knob is simple to use

Aside from buying my music on disc, as I like having a hardcopy backup, I will no longer be using CD's thanks to this head unit. First off, it works fantastically with my iPhone 3GS, which I assume almost everyone buying this head unit will also have (or an iPod at minimum). Plug in the iPhone and it recognizes the entire library in about 3 seconds (I believe the older IDA-X305, no S, would sometimes give people problems with recognizing their iPhone/iPod. I've had no such problems so far). This is INCREDIBLY nice, as before I had my music collection on 6-7 mp3 CD's. Searching for what you want to listen to is a breeze and functions similarly to an iPod Classic. As a side note, when you plug in the iPhone, it automatically switches to iPod mode and starts playing where the currently playing song on the iPod left off. Some people may be annoyed by this if you just want to charge your iPhone, but it's more convenient than not, considering it's the mode you'll probably use the most. Maybe Alpine should have made it an optional setting.

I can't comment too much on Pandora. I don't use it often, but it's nice that it's there. It takes a little longer before the music starts compared to the iPod function. Usually about 10 maybe 15 seconds tops, before music from Pandora starts playing.

Stereo presets are a bit weird to set, but it's not overly complicated. That's the price of having so few buttons on the face.

The screen is perfect for navigating selections. A full function LCD is so much nicer than the one or two lines of text on most of other head units. If you're OCD like me and have album artwork for every song on your iPhone, you'll appreciate the beautiful LCD screen even more. Some people may find the screen too bright at night, but it can be turned down I believe with a dimmer setting.

Sound quality is very good in my opinion, especially for just a head unit. I'm not using an external amp. I had an Alpine CDA-9856 head unit before this one and this one sounds noticeably better. Perhaps Alpine used the additional available space and reduced cost of omitting the CD player to put in a better internal amp? Maybe, but my cynicism makes me think otherwise.

So after all of my glorification of this head unit you may be asking, why only four stars? Lack of value in my opinion. Receivers cheaper than this give you many features that Alpine makes you pay extra for, and they aren't cheap either. Buying just the imprint processor (stock EQ's are fairly basic, probably on purpose so you'll buy this addon) and bluetooth phone kit will cost almost as much as the head unit itself. Then there's HD radio and satellite tuners to potentially buy as well. If you're buying Alpine though, you are probably already expecting not to get much bang for your buck.

All in all, if you have an iPhone/iPod and the money, this head unit is for you. You will be hard pressed to find a head unit that gives you better control of it than this.

Buy iDA-X305S - Alpine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Cable for Total iPod and iPhone Integration Now

Installed this last weekend and love it!!

All my music is on my iPhone so I wanted a head unit that functioned well with the iPhone. Songs load quickly and scrolling through the head unit interface is easy very similar to the iPhone itself. I love the artwork display looks very good on the LCD screen.

Sound quality is good although I probably need to upgrade from factory speakers to really take advantage of it.

The detachable face unit is a plus for deterring theft.

Being that it is expandable it is nice to know I have the option to add bluetooth, HD radio, CD changer or satellite radio down the road if I want. I'm glad these weren't included because then the overall cost would be higher and right now I'm not using any of them.

Bottom line: If you are an iPhone / iPod music person and don't need CDs, this is the head unit suited for you.

***********Update 12/23/10

1. Just found out I can play RHAPSODY through this which is AWESOME. Now you can listen to any song on demand, anywhere! You can't control the iPhone through the x305s when you're using Rhapsody but at least it works!

To use rhapsody make sure the X305s is on iPhone USB connection and then just open up Rhapsody.

Read Best Reviews of iDA-X305S - Alpine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Cable for Total iPod and iPhone Integration Here

Set up with an Alpine PDX-5 Amp, 12" Boston Acoustics G5 Sub, and Stock JBL Speakers 6.5 Front 6x9 Rear in a 2010 Toyota Camry.

Surprisingly, the stock JBLs are holding up extremely well. I've received a lot of compliments on how great my system sounds. So Audio Quality is top notch. Features are also great with the IPOD functionality and Control. Tested the Pandora on a friend's IPHONE and set up was quick and easy. Far better than having to pay for satellite radio.

Now the negatives. It is Bluetooth READY not Bluetooth INCLUDED. It will require a BT Adapter which will cost another $100-150 more! The head unit cost just jumped to $400! For $250, you can grab a Kenwood KDC-X994 that also has the Pandora feature and already has the BT Adapter built in. I didn't mind at first because the Audio Quality pretty much evened out the negatives. That is until, I got the Alpine 400BT installed.

With the IDA x305 and x305S, you need to take extra steps in setting up your BT! After activating the BT Feature on the radio, I had to reset the radio, take off the faceplate, put the faceplate back on, turn the ignition off, turn the ignition on, turn it off again, then finally turn it back on just to pair the head unit with my phone! My installer and I didn't know the magical steps until after I had to call Alpine tech support. So after finally getting my BT up and running, I make my test call and more bad news. The call quality is bad, the person I called could tell I was either on speakerphone or on a BT headset. What's worse is, the person I called could hear themselves echo on their side!

To summarize, if all you're looking for a is a great head unit that will give you top notch audio quality, get this head unit. If you need bluetooth, go for the Kenwood. That's what I'll be doing after I sell this H/U.

Want iDA-X305S - Alpine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver with USB Cable for Total iPod and iPhone Integration Discount?

So I was able to purchase both of these decks and have had them for about a year now. I've also got the bluetooth unit (a must!).

Items:

iPhone4

Alpine IDA-x303 $199

Alpine IDA-x305s $319

I'll cut straight to my issues.

the 303 is able to control Spotify w/ skips on the head unit. the 305 cannot

the 303 is able to list the name of the track and display the image ont he iphone. the 305 cannot

the 303 is able to do all the above w/ Pandora. the 305 can also.. but you get a ugly screen that just says you're connected to alpine. that's it.

both units are able to multi task. (run pandora & have a voice activated navigation on the back w/ waze or trapster)

Also the 303 is NOW able to control pandora from the deck. (this is new from the release of iOS 5.01)

If I had to do it over.. i'd get the 303 and save myself the 100 bucks.

Probably a reason why the 303 has been discontinued cause it does the same things as the 305 but for less.

I thought I would miss having a CD player in the car, but with this radio and Pandora, iPod or smartphone capability, I'll probably never go back to a CD player again. Though this unit has satellite capability too, remember that to use Sirius, the unit must be paired with a satellite tuner and a subscription must be activated. I have not re-connected with Sirius yet, but I am considering it (I miss a lot of the news & entertainment channels). For now Pandora does the trick, music-wise. Overall, the Pandora feature, the removable face plate and the big knob for easy control and Alpine's reputation were what sold me. There are precious few aftermarket radios out there that are Pandora-ready, but I suspect this will change soon.

NOTE: You will also need a bluetooth adapter if you wish to use bluetooth to hook up a smartphone to this stereo. Though sometimes my Alpine bluetooth adapter can be a little slow to connect, overall I am happy with the way that device works with the iDA-X305S. When I get a call, Pandora cuts out and the phone answers through a microphone on the sun visor (audio plays through the car speakers). When the call completes, the radio goes back to playing Pandora. The stereo even displays who the call is to/from. I recommend pairing this with the Alpine bluetooth adapter for seamless integration.

Some people think the aftermarket car stereo world is dead but for high dollar custom jobs. I certainly hope this is not the case, as units like this can really bridge the gap in crappy stock systems versus going all out and spending thousands on a custom installation. Alpine is exclusively a car stereo producer and their years of experience shows. Great product!

0 comments:

Post a Comment