C. Crane CCRadio-EP AM/FM Radio

C. Crane CCRadio-EP AM/FM Radio
  • Bass and Treble knobs can be adjusted for best music or voice rendition
  • Internal/External antenna Switch
  • Line In for MP3 players or other source of external audio via an optional 1/8" stereo patch cord
  • Built-in, flip up carry handle
  • 6V AC adapter (included) or runs on four optional "D" batteries

I don't usually submit reviews on Amazon. I don't think I ever have actually, but to see this CC Radio EP rated so poorly with only six reviews as of this writing, I felt compelled to contribute.

This radio is a nice, affordable and quality AM/FM analog radio.

The Twin Coil fine tuning knob does work.

The radio can be problematic in the higher frequencies of the AM band, as has been noted in other reviews that aren't on Amazon.

If you are a prospective buyer, I would seek out the review of this radio written by Jay Allen. Just use a search engine with his name and the name of this radio and you should find it.

His opinion is the one I have of this radio, which is a very good one.

Again, I am not a ham but I do DX the MW band. I own over one hundred radios and I can assure you that if you enjoy analog radios, you will enjoy this one. If not, that's okay with me because I certainly do enjoy. In fact, after I write this review, I need to buy an extra.

Buy C. Crane CCRadio-EP AM/FM Radio Now

I bought two radios simulteneously, the Crane CCRadio-EP and the Sangean named below. I compared them under the Sangean listing, and reproduce that here, also.

The Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM radio may be just the radio for you...or not. It all depends on what you expect from your radio for instance, do you expect to leave it on a table or counter-top most of the time while moving it from room to room only occasionally? Or, do you need a take-with-you portable for your active lifestyle? Is most of your listening FM stereo, or tuning in ballgames from distant AM stations? Are you an AM DXer who enjoys logging those distant stations when conditions are favorable, running up and down the frequencies for hours hoping for a record catch?

In addition to this Sangean, I also purchased the C. Crane CCRadio-EP via Amazon on the same day. They are very different units, and each has its strong points. You may prefer one to the other based on some issues mentioned in the first paragraph. Their prices are about the same.

The Sangean is a digital model with 5 FM presets and 5 AM. It has two small stereo speakers, clock functions, and is easy and convenient to use. The Crane is an analog radio, having no presets or clock functions, a single (but larger) speaker, bass and treble knobs, selectable AM bandwidth, a neat lighted dial, and a fine-tune adjustment for AM. Both have very sturdy FM whip antennas, and both have excellent AM antennas, as well.

The Sangean has the largest built-in ferrite bar AM antenna likely to be found in this size radio. At almost 8" in length, it does a nice job of receiving AM. The Crane's AM antenna is their twin-coil ferrite bar model which can be somehow elctronically manipulated with the radio's separate fine-tuning control sometimes it allows you to hear stations which were buried in noise much more clearly. If you are an AM DXer, or do a lot of listening to marginal, distant AM stations, the Crane has the edge due to its analog design and its special antenna. However, the Sangean is no slouch at AM better than most, even but one notch under the Crane in this regard.

The Crane also has the advantage for someone on the go, for one simple but important reason it has a carry handle. Carrying the Sangean is very awkward, and the grip it provides very tenuous the owner who carries it often will sooner or later drop it, and that is pretty much inevitable. Could be damaged from a fall. The Crane handle flips down and hides in a nice recess.

Both radios sound good...but again different. The Sangean is a leaner, but more refined stereo FM sound, while the Crane has a bigger sound with a bit deeper low end, which I hesitate to refer to as 'bass' for either radio. Both provide FM stereo with headphone use. For near-field listening (such as sitting at hand on a table) the Sangean sounds better to me with its pleasing stereo presentation. Outdoors, or further away, the bigger sound of the Crane suits me better.

The Sangean has a sexier look, the Crane looks more traditional. Both are very good at reception about the same for FM, with the Crane having that AM edge. No handle what was Sangean thinking? I really love both of these, and between the two they fill my needs nicely, while out-performing every other radio in the house from a reception perspective. While I recommend either, I also can suggest both. Works for me, and my wife loves the Sangean.

(Left out mentioning that the Crane's AM bandwidth selector does add another tool for helping keep that distant ballgame listenable. Another point for the Crane.)

Read Best Reviews of C. Crane CCRadio-EP AM/FM Radio Here

I have owned this radio for about two months now, and I am very happy with it. I live in a rural area and I am very particular about the radios I own because of the weak radio signals that beset me here. I am, therefore, pleased to say the C. Crane CCRadio-EP excels at receiving AM signals, with the distant station that carries my favorite baseball team's games coming in strong and clear. It is nearly as sensitive on FM stations, too, with my preferred NPR stations coming in very clearly. Despite the fact that it has analog tuning, it holds onto signals very well and doesn't require constant retuning to keep faint stations properly tuned. Sound quality is very good for a radio of its size and it has bass/treble adjustment, too. Sound is not quite as full as my GE SuperRadio II, but it is slightly better than my Sony ICF-EX5MK2. The bottom line is that the sound is enjoyable for both music and the spoken word. Concerned about QC, I ordered my C. Crane CCRadio-EP directly from Crane and it has performed admirably. I have no complaints about the build or material quality of the radio. Battery life has been good so far, as well.

I would recommend this radio without hesitation to anyone who is looking for a portable radio that offers excellent reception and very good sound quality. Two thumbs, way up!

Want C. Crane CCRadio-EP AM/FM Radio Discount?

I purchased this radio for it's AM radio capabilities. I like to DX the mediumwave band and this radio failed a very simple litmus test for me. Being located in downstate NY, I tune to WBZ in Boston on AM 1030. A relatively easy catch. With WBZ being sandwiched between 1010 WINS and 1050 ESPN this radio could not hear WBZ because of the two powerhouse stations above and below it and lack of sensitivity. All I heard was bleed from the two neighboring stations. Fiddling with the twin ferrite control and trying the radio in multiple locations made no difference to reception. My Sangean PR-D5 had absolutely no trouble tuning in WBZ. The difference between the radios is like night and day. If you only wish to hear 50K clear channel broadcasts and 1-5K local stations, this radio may suit you, but for more critical applications and those of us who enjoy the world of MW DX I cannot recommend this radio. It just does not have the selectivity to get the job done, twin ferrite and all.

Save 13% Off

My wife is a Postal Letter Carrier. She needed a work-horse radio to keep in her delivery truck that brings in great reception. Having used Panasonic and Sony portable radios previously, this heavy duty unit is in a class all by itself. If you looking for a quality Am-FM Radio and not a Toy, look no further!

0 comments:

Post a Comment